Hospitals Cup: Home




New tournament format and, after 111 years, a new name on the Cup!

Final (27.05.17, Stepaside Astro)

Cork University and South/South West Hospitals 1:0 Mater Hospital

Cork University and South/South West Hospitals deservedly secured their first title today with a 1:0 final victory over an excellent Mater team.

Group A: Mater Hospital 2:0 St Vincent’s Hospital, Galway University Hospital 1:0 St Vincent’s Hospital, Galway University Hospital 1:1 Mater Hospital (Mater progress 6;5 on pens)

Group B: Federated Dublin Hospitals (holders) 0:3 Cork Hospitals, Cork Hospitals 3:0 RCSI Hospitals, Federated Dublin Hospitals 1:2 RCSI Hospitals


Final  (Saturday 25th June, 4 PM, pitch R3, UCD Belfield)

St Vincent’s Hospital (holders) 0:2 Federated Dublin Hospitals

Hopsitals Cup semifinals 2016 (Saturday 11.06, pitch 23 and 24 St Anne’s Park, Raheny, 2PM)

Semifinal 1: St Vincent’s Hospital (holders) 1:0 Cork University Hospital

Semifinal 2: Mater Hospital 1:3 Federated Dublin Hospitals


Final (Saturday 06.06.15, 4PM, pitch R3, UCD, Belfield):

St Vincent’s Hospital (holders) 3 v 2 Mater Hospital

D-day for St Vincent’s?

The scoreline reflects just how close this game was. MoM performances from centre-halfs Tommy Fitzgerald and Kevin Sheahan and goalkeeper Mark Kielty combined with the pace of Aidan McGrath won the cup for Vincent’s against an excellent young Mater team. See you next year!

Semifinal 1: Saturday 23rd May, 11.00 AM, Knocklyon

Cork University Hospital 1 v  3 Mater Hospital Dublin

Semifinal 2: Saturday 23rd May, 1.00 PM, Knocklyon

St Vincent’s Hospital (holders) 2  v  1 Federated Dublin Hospitals

Final (Saturday 17.05.14, R4 Belfield UCD):

St Vincent’s Hospital 3:0 Mater Hospital
(Drurand, Swanton, McGrath)

Vincent’s avoid ‘three in a row’

The final of the Hospitals Cup was a much closer affair than the score line suggests. Vincent’s started well but did not look like scoring thanks to the rock-solid defending of Colm Cosgrove, Denis Curtin and Douglas Mulholland ably backed up by Adrian Moughty in goals. The key moment in the match came in the 15th minute when from a corner, Rory Drurand directed a near-post header in off the crossbar giving Vincent’s the lead. The Mater dominated possession after that but failed to create many chances thanks to a ‘man of the match’ performance at centre-half by Vincent’s captain Paddy O’Connor, supported by excellent defending from Dean Huggard, Ciaran Judge and Marty de Baker. Dogged work in midfield by James Lee and Gavin Kane helped keep the Mater scoreless. Vincent’s held out, desperate to avoid a third consecutive final defeat and a second loss in three years to their sibling rivals. With minutes remaining, the Mater, pushing everyone forward to try and get the equaliser, conceded two late breakaway goals.

St Vincent’s squad: Paddy O’Connor (captain), Robbie Kernan, Ronan McDermott, Dean Huggard, James Lee, Aidan McGrath, Barry Power, Mike Keatly, Ciaran Judge, Marty de Baker, Gavin Kane, Rory Drurand, Andrew Swanton, Danko Kostadinov, John Seery, Pat Coghlan, David Ryan (all played)

Semi-final 1 (16.05.14, St Annes Park, Raheny):
University Hospital Limerick 1:2 The Mater Hospital

Semi-final 2 (16.05.14, St Annes Park, Raheny):
St Vincent’s Hospital 6:2 The Federated Hospitals (holders)

Quarter Final 1 (10.05.14, St Annes Park, Raheny):
University Hospital Limerick 4:3 RCSI Hospitals


Final (Saturday 18.05.13, 6.30PM, Fosters Ave, UCD)

St Vincent’s Hospital 1:4 Federated Dublin Hospitals

Semi finals (17.05.13, Pitch 5 and 6 St Anne’s Park, Raheny)

Federated Dublin Hospitals 1:0 Mater Hospital (holders)

St Vincent’s Hospital 5:0 Beaumont Hospital


Final (Sunday 29.04.12, 3PM, R3, UCD)

St Vincent’s Hospital (holders) 0:0 Mater Hospital (AET)
(Mater win 4:2 on penalties)

Mater team: Sean Keane, Joshua Bell, Denis Curtin (c), Garrett Leonard, Colm Cosgrove, David McNeill, Ronan Cassidy, Fergus Doyle, Peter Spencer, Colm O’Gilligan, Jack Halligan. Subs: Eoghan O’Sullivan, Terry Deeny, Sean Murphy, Colm Byrne. Coach: Peter O’Gorman) (Penalty scorers: G Leonard, F Doyle, C Cosgrove, J Belle

Semi-final 1 (22.04.12, Pitch 2 St Annes, 2PM)
Dublin Dental v Mater (wo)

Semi-final 2 (22.04.12, Pitch 2 St Annes, 4PM)
St Vincent’s Hospital (holders) 3:0 Federated Dublin Hospitals

Round 1 (Pitch 5, St Annes, 15.04.12)
Dublin Dental (wo) v Beaumont RCSI


FINAL (29.05.11, R3 Belfield, UCD)

St Vincent’s Hospital (holders) 3:0 Mater Hospital
(R. Murray, R. McDermott (pen), J. Lee)

(GAME OFF) FINAL: St Vincent’s Hospital (holders)v Mater Hospital (Sports Centre, UCD Belfield, Friday 13th May, 6.30 PM KO)(GAME OFF)

Semi-final 1 (Thursday 5th May, 6.30 PM, Dardistown)
St Vincent’s Hospital 7:1 RCSI Hospitals

Semi-final 2 (Friday 6th may, 6.30 PM, St Annes)
Mater Hospital 2:1 Federated Dublin Hospitals

Quarterfinal 1 (Tuesday 19th Apil, St Annes)
Mater Hospital 5:0 Dublin Dental Hospital


FINAL (Friday 7th May, Sports Centre, UCD Belfield 6.30 PM KO)

St Vincent’s Hospital (holders) 4 RCSI Hospitals 0
(Ronan McDermott 2, Aidan McGrath, Alex Franciosi)

Semi-final 1 (Sunday 25th April, RCSI grounds)
Mater Hospital 0 RCSI Hospitals 2

Semi-final 2 (Saturday 24th April 11 AM, St Annes Park Raheny)
St Vincent’s Hospital 3 Dublin Dental Hospital 0

Quarterfinal 1 (17.04.10)
Mater Hospital (wo) v UCD Veterinary Hospital

Quarterfinal 2 (17.04.10)
Dublin Dental Hospital (wo) v Federated Dublin Hospitals


FINAL (Thursday 09.04.09, R3, UCD, Belfield)

RCSI Hospitals (Holders) 1:3 St Vincent’s Hospital
(o.g., McCarthy, Murray)

St Vincent’s and Beaumont clashed at Belfield tonight in the decider of the 2009 Hospitals Cup tournament. However, driving rain combined with a gale force wind blowing straight down the pitch made it almost impossible for either side to make use of the excellent playing surface provided by UCD. Vincent’s had the good fortune to win the toss and playing with the elements in the first half went in at the break two goals up. Vincent’s first goal came in the opening minutes of the game and owed much to the appalling weather conditions as an unfortunate deflection off a Beaumont defender was caught by the wind and looped high over the stranded keeper and into the net. In fairness, Vincent’s second was a great left-footed shot into the top corner of the net from winger Colm McCarthy. As Beaumont came to terms with the conditions they started to create chances and a key moment in the game arrived just before half time. Vincent’s keeper, Sean Keane, made a brilliant save diving low to his left to touch a well-struck penalty around the post. After that, it was always going to be difficult for Beaumont to come back from a two goal deficit but they showed the same resilience that won them the trophy last season and deservedly pulled the game back to 2:1 midway through the second half. Great defensive work from Henning Stokmo, Nathan Wall, Eammon Spillane, Dean Huggard and the ever-reliable Paul McElwaine (earning his fifth winners medal on the night) kept Vincent’s ahead. Towards the end, Beaumont appeared to tire and in the closing moments Aidan McGrath broke down the right wing to cross for Ronan Murray to finish from close range.

St Vincent’s team: Sean Keane, Paul McElwaine, Eammon Spillane, Nathan Wall, Henning Stokmo, Andy Delany (captain), Kieran McNamara, Robbie Kernan, Colm McCarthy, Ronan McDermott, Ronan Murray, Dean Huggard, James Lee, Aidan McGrath, Barry Power

Semifinal 1 (March 28th, St Annes Park, Raheny, 10 AM): RCSI Hospitals 2:1 The Mater Hospital

Semifinal 2 (March 28th, St Annes Park, Raheny, 12 noon): St Vincent’s Hospital 3:1 The Federated Hospitals

Quarter-final (QF) (March 21st): Federated Hospitals 4:2 Dublin Dental Hospital


FINAL (Friday 23.05.08, R3 UCD Belfield)

Mater Hospital 1: RCSI Hospitals 1
(RCSI Hospitals win on penalties)

The 2008 Hospital’s Cup Final was played under a falling sun at UCD Belfield at 19:00 on Friday May 23rd. Finalist Beaumont Hospital coming off a 4:3 extra time comeback over the Feds and a 1:0 win over St Vincent’s, met up with the defending Hospitals Cup champions the Mater Hospital. The Mater were trying to become the first team to defend their title as Hospitals Cup champions since 2004. The game began with several chances for both teams with saves from both keepers and strong defensive play from both sides. The first 45 minutes ended goalless. Begining the second half, with strong pressure on Beaumont in their own half, the Mater forward was brought down on the edge of the box, leaving the referee pointing to the spot. A hard low shot was first blocked by keeper Olav Hopland, unfortunately straight back to the rushing forward who slotted the ball over the keepers outstretched hands. With plenty of time left in the match, Beaumont were pressing for the equaliser. Almost as it appeared that the Mater would hold off Beaumont’s attack, centre-back, Sam McManus was left unmarked at the top of the box and made no mistake in taking the through-ball from Jason Fallon and bringing Beaumont level at 1:1. Beaumont had several chances to take the win in added time with two successive corners pulled off the line by a strong Mater defence, but overtime was inevitable. In overtime, both teams had chances, with the best chance coming off a Mater corner with the ball headed for the back of the net, only to be blocked and cleared off the line by Beaumont defender Behrad Besharatian to keep the teams square. Following greter than 110 minutes of football the two teams remained level and penalty kicks were required to determine a winner. With successful shots from Darren Mylotte, Cormac O’Connor, Fran O’Reilly and David Gough, the show was stolen by Beaumont keeper Olav Hopland who blocked two Mater penalties to earn Beaumont its first Hospitals Cup victory in 8 years. Congratulations to the Beaumont Men’s football team for their successful victory and to the Mater who fought hard and were unlucky not to win it. Thank you to all who came out to support RCSI/Beaumont and for believing we could win it. A special congratulations to Olav Hopland, who playing in his last game in a surgeons jersey had an amazing game and was declared ‘Man of the Match’ for his efforts.
Report: Torin Glass

The RCSI Hospitals will face the holders, the Mater Hospital, in this year’s Hospitals Cup Final (date TBC) following a pulsating extra time victory (4:3) over the Feds in last night’s semifinal at Dardistown (report to follow). The Mater overcame the Dublin Dental Hospital by two goals to nil in St. Anne’s Park, Raheny in the other semifinal.


The semi-final of the Hospitals Cup was played between Beaumont Hospital and the Feds on Thursday 1st of May. Beaumont were up against some stiff resistance against last year’s loosing finalist, and we knew it was going to be a tough game. The game started off with the Feds having the advantage of the wind on a very dry pitch. Within 20 minutes the Feds were 2:0 up after a nice shot and some bad goalkeeping. Beaumont looked stumbled, and there was a feeling around the pitch that there was no way back from this. However, Beaumont put on a strong fight led by Darren Mylotte who was just back from injury. Both teams had some fantastic chances and brought the best out of both goalkeepers, but there were no more goals before half-time. Beaumont made a few tactical changes before the 2nd half, but felt hard done by when the Feds went up to 3:0 after a defensive error left the Feds striker all alone to head in the goal. The Feds looked sure to win it now, but Beaumont never gave up, and had some amazing chances. In the 60th minute, one of the Feds defenders scored an own goal under pressure and this sparked Beaumont. We got the second goal after a fantastic shot from distance by Atle Riise in the 80th minute. As Beaumont were pushing on for the equaliser, there was plenty of room for counter attacks, and Torin Glass played a superb game in goal to keep Beaumont in it with several magnificent saves, one of his best games to date! In the 85th minute, Beaumont had a corner that was swung in and headed into the top corner, 3:3. Both teams pushed on at the end for the winner, but Beaumont came closest when Cormac O’Connor fired a penalty off the post in the 90th minute, and hence the game went on to extra time. In extra time, the game could have gone either way, and both goalkeepers pulled out some amazing saves to keep it interesting. However, at the end of the 2nd half of extra time when everybody was getting ready for penalties, Cormac O’Connor suddenly found himself through on goal and scored the winning goal with the last kick of the match. A fantastic win in the end by a very hard battling Beaumont side.

Report: Olav Hopland


The draw for this year’s competition took place at the Mater Hospital. Last year’s finalists RCSI Hospitals and the Mater Hospital were seeded into the semi-final draw. Of the remaining three participants a draw was held to determine one quarter final pair.

Round 1: Cork University Hospital v Galway University Hospital (winners to play the Dublin Dental Hospital in QF1 on Sunday 27.04.08), (winners of QF1 to play the Mater in SF1).

17.04.08 (Dardistown) QF2: St Vincent’s University Hospital 0 v RCSI Hospitals 1 (RCSI Hospitals to play the Feds in Semifinal 2 on Saturday 26.04.08).
Dates will not be changed.

Saturday 08.06.08 Ladies Hospitals Cup Tournament
Final (Belfield)

St Vincent’s Hospital 4 (Deirdre Moran 2, Aoife lavelle, Aofie Shanahan) Mater Hospital 0

As the Federated Hospitals turned up with an all-male team, careful analysis of the rules deemed them ineligible and they were eliminated from the competition

The draw for this year’s competition took place at the Mater Hospital. Last year’s finalists RCSI Hospitals and the Mater Hospital were seeded into the semi-final draw. Of the remaining three participants a draw was held to determine one quarter final pair.


Final 09.06.07 BELFIELD

Mater too strong for the Feds

Mater Hospital 3 (R Bambury, J Mulvaney, G Leonard) The Federated Dublin Hospitals 0
This year’s Hospitals Cup final was played in glorious conditions in Belfield. The opening exchanges saw the Feds with an open chance on goal that was blocked by covering defender Colm Cosgrove. The first half was frustrating for the Mater side, who had countless set-pieces, but they were kept at bay by a quite superb performance from the Feds goalkeeper. The second half saw both teams tighten up and there wasn’t much between them until the 70th minute, when a cross-field pass from Ronan Cassidy found midfielder Richie Bambury who controlled the ball well before calmly placing the ball high into the back of the net fom the edge of the area. The game opened up more after this as the Feds chased the game. Quick thinking from Mater keeper Donal Tighe following a Feds attack exposed their defense as they pressed for the equaliser. His long clearance bounced favourably for James Mulvaney, who’s unstoppable, first time volley flew into the top corner, to put the Mater 2-0 up with 10 minutes remaining. An injury time volley from captain Garrett Leonard, following an Eddie Dervan corner, sealed victory for the Mater side who claimed their first title since 2001.


The draw for the 2007 Hospitals Cup Tournament was made at the Clarion Hotel, Dublin tonight 27.03.07. This year the tournament will return to the traditional straight knockout format. The draw is as follows.

Quarter final 1 (Saturday 26.05.07)

The Federated Dublin Hospitals 2:2 Galway University Hospital (AET) (Feds win 4:2 on penalties)

Quarter Final 2 (Sunday 27.05.07)

The Dublin Dental Hospital 2:1 Beaumont Hospital

Semi final 1 (Friday 08.06.07)

St Vincent’s University Hospital 1:1 The Federated Dublin Hospitals (AET) (Feds win 5:4 on penalties)

Semi final 2 (Friday 08.06.07)
The Mater Hospital 2:1 The Dublin Dental Hospital


The Mater Hospital 3:8 St Vincents University Hospital

30.05.06 BELFIELD

St Vincent’s Hospital 2 (R Murray, D O’Malley) Mater Hospital 1 (J Mulvaney)

Moment of Magic Decides Centenary Final

A late goal, worthy of winning any football match, settled the Centenary Hospitals Cup final in St Vincent’s favour in front of a large and enthusiastic crowd at Belfield. The result was particularly cruel on an outstanding Mater team who had fought back from a goal down at the break to dominate the game in the second half. Under blue skies and on a perfect playing surface, the match kicked off at a frantic pace with an early chance falling to Mater striker Colm O’Gilligan. With only minutes gone, O’Gilligan latched onto a ball over the top of a flatfooted Vincent’s back four but his well struck half volley was comfortably gathered by Frank O’Brien who had an excellent game in goals for the Southsiders. After that early scare, Vincent’s settled into the game and dominated the next half hour of play, the Mater struggling to cope with the physical presence of Bryan Barry and Andy Delaney in midfield. Vincent’s looked particularly dangerous from set pieces and it was no surprise when they eventually went a goal up from a free kick. McElwaine whipped the ball into the Mater box at pace from the left sideline. As the ball arrived at the penalty spot, Vincent’s centreforward, Ronan Murray, managed to muscle ahead of his marker and, diving to his knees, sent a bullet header into the bottom corner of the net. The Mater were perhaps fortunate not to go further behind in the subsequent minutes as the aerial threat of O’Grady, O’Reilly and Barry posed problems at a sequence of corners. Good work from keeper Mark Rogan and fullbacks on the line kept Vincent’s at bay. However, even before the half-time whistle sounded, there were hints of the transformation to come in the second forty five minutes with Mater midfielder, Fergus Doyle, gliding through the Vincent’s defence and linking well with Johnny McHale to create chances. The Mater stepped up a gear in the second half and worked a well-deserved equaliser shortly after the restart. Following an excellent break down the right, the outstanding player on the pitch, Ronan Cassidy, delivered a low ball across the Vincent’s goalmouth and the on-rushing Mater winger, James Mulvaney, buried his shot in the back of the Vincent’s net. Tears were shed by a devoted Vincent’s fan when James scored.  After the equaliser, the pressure on Vincent’s was severe. Some beautiful one-touch passing between Richie Barry, O’Gilligan and Doyle saw the Vincent’s men chasing shadows in midfield. Pressure called for leadership and McElwaine and Bryan Barry provided it in the heart of the Vincent’s defence. That and the battling qualities of man of the match Ronan Murray kept Vincent’s in the hunt, although, even for him, the Mater defensive unit of John Kelly, Denis Curtin, Garrett Leonard, Colm Cosgrove and Colm Travers must have seemed like a brick wall at times. With clear chances at a premium, the game was finally settled by a move of pure class, a sequence of passes involving O’Connor and Kelly down the Vincent’s left flank left Murray in possession on the edge of the Mater penalty area, a perfectly weighted pass across the eighteen yard line allowed Diarmuid O’Malley, who had joined the attack from right back, to beat the first defender without touching the ball, O’Malley then cut outside another Mater defender and from an acute angle lobbed the ball over a despairing Mark Rogan. With minutes left there was no way back for the gallant Mater team who battled to the end.
After the match, the two people responsible for keeping the Hospitals Cup tournament going over the past forty years, Peter Cassidy and Conal Hooper, were presented with special commerative silver medals to mark the 100th anniversary of the trophy. Presenting the cup to Vincent’s captain, Paul McElwaine, Professor Hooper reminded those present of the remarkable history of the Hospitals Cup and commended the players on the high standard of play in the final.
Total commitment and great skill, unbearable tension at times and three outstanding goals during the match and both teams and sets of supporters enjoying an excellent evening together after the final whistle-it was a fitting way to celebrate the first hundred years of Hospitals Cup football.

Mater team: Mark Rogan, Colm Travers, Colm Cosgrove, Garrett Leonard (captain), Denis Curtin, John Kelly, Fergus Doyle, Ronan Cassidy, James Mulvaney, Colm O’Gilligan, Eammon Spillane, Johnny McHale, Eddie Dervan, Richie Barry. Coach: Peter O’Gorman

St Vincent’s team: Frank O’Brien, Bryan Barry, Paul McElwaine (captain), Paul Byrne, Dean Huggard, Paddy O’Connor, Andy Delaney, Colm McCarthy, Anthony O’Reilly, Ronan Murray, Alan O’Grady, Alan Barry, Diarmuid O’Malley, Peter Kelly, Rory McQuillan, Robbie Kernan, Oisin Byrne. Coaches: Freddie Strahan, John Seery
Report: John Seery

SEMIFINAL I: Federated Dublin Hospitals (holders): 2 St Vincent’s University
Hospital: 8
SEMIFINAL II: Mater Misericordiae Hospital: 4 Galway University Hospital: 0

So, the Mater ensured an all UCD final in the Hospitals Cup Trophy’s centenary year following a hard fought 4-0 win against Galway. A very solid determined performance won the game for the Mater who restricted Galway to very few chances, most notably a header from their central defender early on in the game. But Garret ‘G’ Leonard, inspired by his girlfriend on the sideline and Denis “Curtin’s up” Curtin were immense at the back for Mater. The Galway captain was noticed shouting to his players at one stage in the second half to play the ball to the wings because they weren’t “getting a sniff through the middle”, thanks largely to this pair. However, the Colms at full back, Travers and Cosgrove stuck brilliantly to their task, and even contributed to the attack, with Cosgrove marauding up the left wing at times and some brilliant balls over the top from Travers. John “Makelele” Kelly (as much as he doesn’t like the position- with Peter-“Alex Ferguson” O’Gorman shouting at him to come back all the time), had a brilliant game kicking the ankles of all Galway players. Kelly gave them no room in the middle of the park with a tireless performance. Fergus Doyle and Ronan Cassidy also had excellent games in controlling the game, making insightful runs and threading beautiful passes through the defence. On the wings, Eddie Dervan ran up and down the right wing the entire game until he tired towards the end of the match. James Mulvaney was always a threat on the left and topped the day with a magnificent goal, cutting in from the left, before looping the ball in at the near post with his favoured right foot. Up front on his own, Colm “Gilly” O’Gilligan scored two goals, having been put through by great balls from John Kelly and Barry Quill in either half, Barry set him up with one of his first touches having come on on the right wing, following an ankle injury to Denis Curtin. Donal Tighe also played his part by playing the last 15 minutes and shutting up shop in the midfield.
It was a strange match, with few chances at the end of the day, but two quick goals before half time, James cracker and a towering header from “G” following a corner from Cassidy possibly flatered the Mater with a 3-0 scoreline at half time. They had more chances in the second half as the game opened up but couldn’t capitalise further.

So next up, the all UCD decider in Belfield which should provide a great game with a lot of the players on both teams knowing each other very well, having played together throughout the years.

Report: Colm O’Gilligan


Sunday April 23rd: Dublin Dental 0 Mater 6
Sunday April 9th: Beaumont: 0 Mater: 5
Saturday March 11th:Beaumont: 0 Dublin Dental: 0

This game was played in a very good spirit with plenty of chances created by both sides. Excellent performances from both keepers kept the game scoreless. (Report: Peter Cassidy)

Sunday March 12th: Blanchardstown/Cappagh v (wo)St Vincents
wo = walkover.
Saturday March 25th: Blanchardstown/Cappagh v (wo)Federated Dublin

Sunday April 9th: Federated Dublin: 2 St Vincents:1 (AET)

Sunday 9th April
Galway University Hospital:5 Cork University Hospital:1

St Vincent’s Hospital 5 Mater Hospital 0
Clear blue skies marked the beginning of the centenary final as the St Vincent’s and Mater Hospital Ladies Soccer Teams took to the pitch at Fosters Avenue, Belfield. It wasn’t long into the first half when pacey forward, Sheana Geoghan scored the first goal for St Vincent’s Ladies. This was the first of many for this up and coming soccer talent from second year Medicine. Barbara Cooney, centre half, provided further goal glory for St Vincent’s with a beautiful goal late in the first half. Centre forward, Suzi Clarke’s unselfish play and precise passing set up some dangerous Vincent’s attacks throughout the game. In response the Mater upped the pace with creative attacking and threatened the Vincent’s goal on several occasions. However, Susan O’Connell and Elaine Ni Mhuiricu gave great strength to the Vincent’s back four. Vincent’s Ladies showed intelligent play throughout the game making good use of their speedy wingers. The Mater continued to press forward but as the game progressed it became apparent that Vincent’s would prevail on the day!
Report: Eavan McGovern

Mater team: Deborah Martin, Mairead McNally, Grace Traynor, Sheana Fleming, Helen O’Brien, Sureka Yoganathan, Jess Lynch, Fionnola Armstrong, Sue Doherty, Brigid Collins, Anna Smyth, Niamh Sheehan
St Vincent’s team: Eavan McGovern (captain), Suzi Clarke, Barbara Cooney, Deirdre Moran, Sheana Geoghan, Lisa Lavelle, Susan O’Connell, Elaine Ni Mhuiricu, Clare O’Sullivan, Namita Jakraprash, Elaine Reade, Sinead McDermott

final 12.05.05

Federated Dublin Hospitals 4 Beaumont Hospital 2 (Belfield Park)

‘Feds claim first title in ten years’

Both sides contributed greatly to this memorable final with the Feds coming back in the second half from two down to claim a thoroughly deserved win. Thanks to the pace of Harrison and Greening upfront allied to the aggression and skill of the Collins brothers in midfield, the Feds looked threatening from the outset. Beaumont, however, led by Darren Mylotte, posed plenty of problems for the Feds defence early in the game. Indeed, the Trinity men were lucky not to go behind in the opening exchanges thanks to some excellent last-gasp defending from McCartin and Kennelly. Beaumont did, however, manage to make the breakthrough at the ideal moment, scoring with a perfectly executed volley just before half-time and doubling their advantage five minutes into the second half when their outstanding right back climbed high above a crowded penalty area to head home a corner. Game over? Everyone thought so, but when all seemed lost, the Feds brilliant left-back, Gallagher, thread a defence splitting pass into the Beaumont penalty area and the lightening-quick Harrison provided the finish the move deserved. Game on! The Feds drove forward and when the ball fell on the edge of the Beaumont penalty area to Niall Collins he provided a quality finish, lifting the ball past the onrushing Beaumont keeper. At 2:2 the Feds now looked the more likely and went in front for the first time shortly after the equalizer when Solomon converted from a few yards out. With perennial Hospitals Cup winner Mark Quinlan providing a secure foundation in goals, the Feds survived a Beaumont onslaught. Ultimately, the fightback, which had looked so unlikely 20 minutes earlier, was complete when Harrison took the ball on his chest and burst past Carmody and Hogan before coolly placing a shot beyond the Beaumont keeper.
Report: John Seery

Hospitals Cup Semifinals
Federated Dublin Hospitals 5 Mater Hospital 3 (AET)

Beaumont Hospital 1 St Vincent’s Hospital 0 (AET)

Federated Dublin Hospitals 6 St Vincent’s Hospital 3

Beaumont Hospital 3 Mater Hospital 3

Mater Hospital 6 JCMH/Cappagh 0

A comprehensive victory by the Mater side that contained a good mixture of seasoned veterans including John McHale and pacy youth. Goal scorers included John Kelly (1), James Mulvaney (1), Barry Quill (1) and Gilly (or is it “Giggsy”) who scored his hat-trick. A spirited fightback by JCMH was repelled by a strong Mater defense. The Mater are looking forward to the next fixture against Beaumont which promises to be a classic and will decide the group.
Report: Peter O’Gorman

Federated Dublin Hospitals 4 Dublin Dental Hospital 0

St Vincent’s Hospital 3 Dublin Dental Hospital 0

‘Vincent’s pushed hard’

A ten minute second-half goal blitz settled this tight encounter at Dardistown in St Vincent’s favour. The scoreline flattered the holders. The opening exchanges were evenly matched with the opposing defences well marshalled by the centre-half pairings, Doherty and Creavin (Dental) and McElwaine and O’Connor (Vincent’s). The best chance of the first 20 minutes fell to Dental Hospitals’ Fitzsimmons after he had been left untracked by Vincent’s ageing right winger. Fortunately for Vincent’s the resulting shot went well wide. Despite the best efforts of good attacking players on both sides the teams went in at half-time at nil all. O’Donnell and Hennessy had been having outstanding games for Dental and the turning point in the match came when O’Donnell had to leave the pitch due to injury. St Vincent’s managed to gain the initiative for a crucial ten minute period. During that time, the game was settled by two moments of class from the talismanic Ramon Martos. First, a beautifully executed 18 yard volley broke the deadlock. Then a perfectly delivered back-post free kick was finished by charging full-back Green. Vincent’s third was added shortly afterwards by centre-forward McQuillan who worked tirelessly for 90 minutes. To their credit, Dental battled hard to get back into the game and came close to scoring on several occasions before the final whistle.

Report: John Seery

Dental: Colm Traynor, Alex Creavin, Peter Doherty, Peter Mackessy, Conor Bowe, Ryan Hennessy, ‘English’ Mick, Kieran Daly, Paul Fitzsimons, Paul O’Donnell, Kevin Murphy
St Vincent’s: Alan O’Grady, Connor Green, Paul McElwaine, Paddy O’Connor, John Lyne, John Seery, Andy Delany, Anthony Reilly, Darragh McAleer, Rory McQuillan, Ramon Martos. Coach: Paul Nolan

Referee: Mr Alan Singleton

Beaumont Hospital 7 JCMH/Cappagh 0
Beaumont Hospital put the memory of last year’s 2-2 draw with the same opponents in last year’s competition behind them today with a comprehensive victory over “Blanch-Cappagh”. Two early goals from captain Darren Mylotte set the tone for the morning putting JCMH on the back foot for most of the game. Beaumont’s midfield of Mylotte, Axel Bendiksby, Jamie Hepburn and Brian McCullough dictated the game and supplied the ammunition for in-form striker Cormac O’Connor to score four goals, one from the penalty spot when McCullough was upended by a JCMH defender. The Beaumont back five were rarely troubled with pre-med Dave O’Mahony making a solid hospitals cup debut at centre-half. But for some fine goalkeeping by the JCMH keeper, the margin could have been more. The seventh goal came from a sweet strike from Hepburn capping a fine individual performance. Credit to hospitals cup stalwarth, Diarmuid O’Malley who captained the gallant losing side but never threw in the towel. Afterwards, O’Malley lamented the loss of two of last year’s stars, the Collins brothers, to the “Feds”. He will need to recruit one or two more if they are to overcome the Mater next week and progress to a semifinal. Beaumont await the return of some key students to bolster their challenge.
Report: Mark Rogan

Beaumont: Mark Rogan, Brian Hogan (Conor Woods 45′), Dave Carmody, Dave O’Mahony, Steve Karriagiannis, Brian McCullough, Jamie Hepburn, Axel Bendiksby, Darren Mylotte (c), Cormac O’Connor, Yusef Ali Saleh (Ali 45′)

‘UCD edge out RCSI….just’
The UCD teaching Hospitals are the first holders of the Ladies Dublin Hospitals Cup. Blue skies and a perfect playing surface in Belfield contributed to an entertaining clash between the UCD and RCSI teams. UCD dominated the first half thanks to the clever passing of Cliona Mulvihill and Susie Clarke in central midfield combined with the pace and aggression of Eavan McGovern and Deirdre Murphy on the wings. Up-front, Lisa Lavelle was a constant threat while the UCD back four, superbly marshaled by Sheana Desson, looked relatively comfortable. Despite periods of invention from UCD their opening goal came courtesy of a cruel deflection off an RCSI defender in a goalmouth melee. Subsequently, UCD failed to convert a number of excellent chances in the first half and very nearly paid the penalty. In the second period, UCD seemed to tire on the large pitch. A persistent gap developed between their back four and midfield. The outstanding player on the night, Ane Jhlek (no. 10) of RCSI, was well capable of exploiting the resulting space. As the half progressed Jhlek cut in off the right wing running straight at the UCD back four with alarming frequency. The pressure finally told in the last minute of the game when RCSIs’ Dyveke Gleditscz came forward out of defense to power a wonderful 25 yard drive low into the corner of the net past the despairing Danielle McLoughlin. All square at full time, the tie went to penalties. After the high standard of play during the match, the subsequent penalty shootout can best be described as bizarre. Player after player blasted the ball over the crossbar. The tension was enjoyable for the supporters but clearly not for the players. Ultimately, two successful penalties combined with a save from McLoughlin were enough to win it for the UCD Hospitals. Presenting the trophy, Mr Peter Cassidy echoed the sentiments of all present when he commented on how enjoyable the event had been and expressed the hope that the Ladies Hospitals Cup would become an annual event.
Report: John Seery



1) Only doctors and medical students are allowed play in the competition (dental students in the case of dublin dental).

2) Failure to play a fixture on an appointed date results in a walkover to the opposition (no postponements, no cancellations). Semifinal/final dates cannot be moved.

This rule is essential for several reasons-for example getting official referees is extremely difficult at the present time also we want to ensure that the ladies and mens final are played on the same day and at a high quality venue. Getting such venues requires a lot of advance notice.

3) All FAI rules pertaining to junior football apply. In particular, players sent off in a match stand suspended for the next game in the competition. If their team is eliminated in that game the suspension is carried forward to the first game of the following year. Players sent off for abusive behaviour towards referees will serve that suspension and will be suspended from the following years competition.

4) The Independent  trophy is one of the oldest in these islands (see History section). For insurance reasons, it is the responsibilty of the winning captain to ensure that the trophy returns to the committee immediately after the presentation.


Hospitals Cup: Home